Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hyper-V - Exporting a Server

There may come a time where you need to move a virtual machine from one Hyper-V server to another. In my case I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 8 Consumer Preview to Windows 8 Enterprise. In doing so I also upgraded my hard drive to a 1TB solid state drive. I have several servers in my lab setup on my laptop which I did not want to rebuild so I had to go through the process of exporting out the machines on the old drive and import them back in on the new one. I will cover the import in another segment.

The steps to export a machine are pretty simple actually. Once the VM is off simply Right Click on the one you want to export and Click Export

You will then be asked to select an export location where you want to save the files.

Once the export is complete you will be able to import them to the new machine. Simple Right?


More to come!


If you like this blog give it a g+1

No comments:

Post a Comment